Monday, August 16, 2010

And so my trip begins

And so my trip begins. I am currently on flight to Miami to then take a connections flight to PAP, Haiti. As I sit in transit, I am going over many things.

First: I am re-familiarizing myself with the bible. It had been so long since I've actually thumbed through it looking for different passages that had been suggested. I came across Romans 12:6-8. In it - it basically says that God has given us all great gifts to do certain things well. If God has given you the ability to preach, teach, give, help, encourage, support, lead, etc...do these things well & with great responsibility. This is something that I've been chewing on for a long time. When I speak with people about this trip and other ambitions that i have, I hear the responses like "oh, I couldn't do that" or some level of praise that involves how 'great' I am for this. That is too high of praise in my opinion. We all don't do the same things. Some have great abilities to teach and they do remarkable work in schools. Some are medically educated and help with the sick & suffering. Some are people who struggle to keep their lives in order daily. But all offer the abilities to help in their own unique ways...whether it be to contribute, food drives, random acts of kindness, and prayer. And, yes, some people are compelled into action to travel and contribute personally.

---None of these roles are more superior than the other. As, in Romans 12:6-8, we see that we are able to do our individual parts as a design from God and our sole responsibility is that we do it well and to our fullest extent.

So, individual praise is never necessary, however individual responsibility is. I believe it is important to recognize our roles and understand their values. Then it is ultimately vital to exercise these roles with the utmost responsibility, as they have been an extension handed down by God.



Ok, most of you know me and know that I like to cover issues like this without getting too 'preachy' as I believe it's possible to communicate "Godly thought" without climbing onto a high-horse or projecting a superior knowledge. However, I'm sure it's also clear to you that I am indeed a Christian and approached this trip with that point of view.
--I profess that I am in the dark about many things as you are. I believe that this makes me (us) human. I have no intension to preach a 'right or wrong' for you - only to allow you a window into me descovering and debating a 'right or wrong' for me. I hope you enjoy the next several days of this blogging. And I hope, if anything, it can provide you some progressive thought to consider and analyse for your own life. Don't be run off just yet (haha), I will also be conveying experiences from my work over here in Haiti.

Landing in MIA now. Back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment