Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday afternoon...

Just got back from Church service. My math/creole class was interrupted and the group went on to do what is called "walking prayer". You and I may refer to this as "Jehovah's Witness". Yes...we were street walking to 'Evangelize' in the neighborhood. Because this activity was voluntary, I could have opted out to stay home and rest. However I decided that, since I would never...ever...in a million years...do this type of thing - that I would. I would challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone and experience something before criticizing it (which is what this entire trip was an exercise of). So I went along with the distinct intention to stay back and observe. We walked for a good 45 minutes and stopped to speak to several people whom were either at their doors or sitting outside. The first group was 3 young boys sitting under a tree of about 10-13 years old. We simply introduced ourselves (it was a group of 7 of us with translator Zick) we carried basic conversation and asked what they were up to. Their response was that they were sitting around trying to come up with jokes. I know, random right? So we continued to talk with them and they asked if anyone knew any jokes...since no one else could think of one, I had told one that I had heard from an Eritrean Friend ("even if it flies, it is still a goat")...uh, yeah, it bombed. It bombed with everyone....a lot of "I don't get it". haha. Well, I tried.
Anyway, we had continued to pray with them at their blessings and moves along. We next came up to an older woman who was sitting outside and hand-sewing a dress. We asked if we could sit and speak with her and she kept repeating "I have no food, no house" we'd ask several other questions and she would respond the same. Eventually, she agreed to prayer and the group prayed with her. We bid her farewell and continued on. We stopped to speak with an elderly man sitting in the shade waiting for someone to meet him. He had a "Jesus is the boss" baseball cap on and was very welcoming. We spoke with him about his family and his house and his faith. He asked that we pray for his health (blood pressure), which we did. Lastly, we stopped by a house with a 20 year old woman and her 1 year old daughter standing by the doorway. WE spoke with her and asked if there was anything she'd like prayer for...she paused and chuckled a bit & said "I have so many problems, that I can not chose just one". She provided the general situation of her faith and health and her mother also came over to ask for prayer for a house of their own, as they are currently renting in a difficult situation. We prayed with them and ventured back home.

My feelings on "walking prayer" is still a bit mixed, but perhaps not as jaded. I still hold reservation regarding the 'salesmanship' of this practice. The aggression and tactlessness that some handle this as, is definitely not my style of practice. However, I think the instances in which we were welcomed into prayer & a shared faith, it was an incredible experience. Simply to partake in a mutual prayer for someone other than myself. So, again...I am stuck with no definitive answers. But I do say this: there is a necessary value to this practice (if we, as Christians, are intent to walk in the footsteps of Jesus...what do you think he did when walking through a neighborhood? Head down and conversation limited? I'm not sure that is the image I picture). -- But just like anything, I think it is at the risk of being abused. "Evangelizing" should go hand-in-hand with respecting all people...even those whom believe differently. Including respect of their space, time and attention. I am still uncomfortable being a salesman...but I recognize that cars need to be sold....make sense? lol, I hope so....you don't want me writing even MORE on this, yes? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment